The new Hamlyn Views School was built to accommodate nearly 170 students on the former Western Heights College, Quamby Avenue campus.
The school opened for students in Term 1, 2018 to provide specialist education services and first-class facilities for children and young people with a disability from ages 5 to 18.
A Local School Reference Group has been established, and will play a key role in supporting the principal to arrange ongoing community engagement activities.
The new facilities at Hamlyn Views School include:
- a hydrotherapy pool which will deliver health benefits including relaxation, strength development, sensory stimulation and physical exercise, and which can also be accessed by other SDS schools and community groups;
- a games hall and sensory gym area to support sensory movement, and mobility and therapy activities for students. Features include support beams for swings, slings and hammocks and wall padding to minimise any impact risk;
- sensory gardens with winding paths, seating, bird feeders and tactile play features for students to interact and engage with natural settings;
- inclusive sensory rooms equipped with interactive equipment to provide visual, auditory and tactile activities;
- sensory pressure poles to enrich the sensory environment and provide calming support for students;
- a playground liberty swing to give students in wheelchairs the opportunity to enjoy the fun and recreation of swinging; and
- dedicated spaces for healthcare professionals so students can access services such as speech pathology, physiotherapy and occupational therapy at school.
The new school features the latest in environmentally sustainable design, and CERES will run its environmental education program 'ResourceSmart'.
We appointed ClarkeHopkinsClarke as architects of this project.
We appointed Watpac as builder for this project.
Learning Communities Victoria (LCV) are the PPP consortium, delivering the project. Apart from ClarkeHopkinsClarke and Watpac, partners include Amber as sponsor, Spotless as facilities manager and community partners YMCA and CERES.
Suzanne Armstrong has been appointed Principal of the school.
Address: 45 Calvert Street, Hamlyn Heights
Phone: (03) 5215 5700