About the project
We built a new primary school in Wollert West. It opened in 2023 and helps the growing local population get great education close to home. Alisha Campbell is the new principal of this school.
The school has space for 575 local students including approximately 50 places for young people with specialist needs. The school is open for enrolments for students in Prep to Grade 6.
This school is a supported inclusion school, which is a mainstream school with additional professional capabilities and facilities designed to cater for a higher than usual proportion of students with disability. Students with disability receive enhanced support and high-quality education alongside mainstream students to the greatest extent possible in a safe, accessible and supportive environment.
Alisha Campbell is the new principal of this school.
In the 2021–22 State Budget, this school shared in the $491.565 million for new schools construction.
Barrawang Primary School was chosen as the new school name following community consultation. Barrawang (pronounced barra-wang) is a Woi-wurrung word of the Wurundjeri people meaning magpie.
We used Wollert West Primary School as an interim name while the school was being built and established.
Alisha Campbell was appointed as the new principal of this school.
Alisha was the foundation assistant principal at Ashley Park Primary School and brings a commitment to collaboration and communication to this new school community. Her mission has been to empower each child with skills and traits that help them live happy, rewarding and socially responsible lives. Alisha believes that all children can achieve great things and will offer a whole-of-school culture of excellence and inclusion at Barrawang Primary School.
For enrolment queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0493 528 893.
The school includes:
- an administration building with a library, staff offices and amenities as well as specialist teaching areas for science and food technology
- 2 learning neighbourhood buildings with general purpose classrooms, and flexible and collaborative teaching spaces
- a community hub building with a competition-grade gymnasium, canteen, music and drama space
- 2 outdoor hard courts
- a sports field.
We built Barrawang Primary School Kindergarten, a two-room kindergarten at the school that can offer up to 66 much-needed kindergarten places for local families.
Supported inclusion schools are mainstream schools designed to support a higher number of students with a disability than typical mainstream schools. Students with disability will receive enhanced support and high-quality education alongside mainstream students to the greatest extent possible in a safe, accessible and supportive environment.
Supported inclusion schools offer additional amenities to support and enhance learning such as:
- acoustics and lighting designed for the needs of students with particular disabilities
- wider corridors where wheelchairs can pass
- fitness rooms for physical education and therapy
- enhanced accessible toilets fitted with hoists
- smaller multipurpose spaces suitable for consultations, 1:1, or small group learning
- additional provisions for student pick-up/drop-off
- covered walkways
- kitchen facilities for students with special dietary or medication requirements.
Wollert West Primary School (interim name) - site plan
This image shows a top view plan of the new school bordered by Shoreditch Street, Islington Street and Jardin Road. The following areas are marked up:
Learning Neighbourhood (classrooms) x 2
Community Hub, incorporating Performing Arts, Gymnasium
Administration, Library and Specialist Building
Reviewed 30 May 2023