Upgrade and Modernisation
About the project
We are modernising and expanding Carlton Gardens Primary School, improving classrooms and creating places for an extra 150 local students.
The school is gaining:
- flexible teaching and learning spaces
- an environmentally sustainable, state-of-the-art building
- accessible bridge links connecting the new heritage-approved four-storey building to existing ones
- a covered play area, external seating and landscaping
- renovations to the heritage building and first floor of the BER building.
Does the design address heritage concerns?
The project has received approval from Heritage Victoria and has been designed to be compatible with the existing heritage and BER buildings.
When will construction begin?
We plan to appoint a builder in Term 3 and begin construction in the final quarter of this year.
When will works be complete?
Students and staff will be using the new building, the covered playground and all the other improvements at the start of the 2023 school year.
You can access a designed brochure with this information.
In 2020, the school received $10.59 million, which is a share in $130.1 million from the Established Areas Program.
Carlton Gardens Primary School - site plan
This image shows a site map of the school. Marked up are:
- new four-storey learning building
- existing BER building
- existing heritage building
- entry points to the school
- Oconnell Lane and Rathdowne Street
Reviewed 20 December 2021