About the project
We built a new primary school in the Shire of Cardinia. It opened in 2023, helping the growing local population get great education close to home. The school is open for enrolments from Prep to Grade 6.
Gavan Hughes was appointed as the first principal of the school.
The school was previously known by its interim name, Officer Rix Road Primary School, during the planning phase. We consulted with the community on school's name from 20 June 2022 and 8 July 2022. Kurrun (pronounced kur-run) is a Bunurong word meaning wattle.
The school has the following facilities:
- an administration building with a library, staff offices and amenities as well as specialist teaching areas for science and food technology
- 2 learning neighbourhood buildings, incorporating general purpose classrooms, flexible and collaborative teaching spaces
- a community hub building with a competition-grade gymnasium, canteen, music and drama space
- 2 outdoor hardcourts
- a sports field.
Every new Victorian primary school will have a kindergarten on-site or next door. Co-locating kindergartens at primary schools provides many benefits for Victorian families, including making:
- kindergarten programs easier to access
- drop-off time simpler and more convenient
- the transition from kindergarten to school smoother for children.
In the 2021–22 State Budget, this school shared in the $491.565 million for new schools construction.
Reviewed 28 September 2023