About the project
We built a new secondary college in the City of Hume. It opened in 2023, helping the growing local population get great education close to home. The school will open to Year 7 students only, and progress by year level thereafter.
Lian Davies was appointed as the first principal of the school.
The school was previously known by its interim name, Merrifield West Secondary School, during the planning phase. We consulted with the community on school's name from 20 June 2022 to 8 July 2022. The school is named after the suburb it is located in.
The first stage of the school includes:
- an administration building with a library, staff offices and amenities
- a learning neighbourhood building
- a science building
- a materials technology building
- a community hub building with a competition-grade basketball/netball court, canteen, music, drama and food technology teaching spaces
- 4 outdoor hardcourts
- a sports field.
Funding for a second stage of the school depends on future state budgets, but plans include:
- another learning neighbourhood building
- a visual arts building.
The second stage will allow the school to grow to 1200 students. We planned stage 1 so that the school could open with everything it needs, including different types of teaching spaces.
In the 2021–22 State Budget, this school shared in the $491.565 million for new schools construction.
Reviewed 28 September 2023