- Round 1 closed on Friday 14 March at 11:59pm.
- Round 2 closed on Friday 21 May 2021 at 11:59pm.
The Victorian Government is embarking on the largest ever investment in early childhood infrastructure in the state's history.
As we continue to build and expand early childhood facilities through our Building Blocks grant program, the Victorian Government is also providing funding towards projects that enhance the condition of existing kindergartens, ensuring they are modern, safe and fit-for-purpose.
The $30 million Early Childhood Refurbishment and Minor Works Program improves the learning environments, condition or character of Victoria's kindergartens.
The program is a short-term initiative, which aims to stimulate the local economy by funding projects that support local jobs and communities.
Eligible organisations can apply for grants up to $50,000 for minor projects or $500,000 for major projects.
Funds can be used for minor upgrades or refurbishments such as playground upgrades, roof repairs, landscaping, installing accessible ramps, fencing, kitchen or staffroom upgrades. For more information, please refer to the guidelines below.
Subscribe to our mailing list
We'll email you the latest updates about early childhood grants.
The Refurbishment and Minor Works Program will help improve the learning environments, condition or character of Victorian kindergartens. The program also aims to stimulate economic activity by supporting local jobs across Victoria.
Funding is intended to:
- upgrade the condition of kindergartens
- improve kindergarten amenities
- stimulate the local economy by funding projects that support local jobs and communities.
Your organisation can apply if it is one of the following:
- a Victorian Local Government Area (Council)
- a not-for-profit community organisation that is a legal entity (for example an incorporated association, incorporated cooperative or Indigenous corporation)
- a Victorian government school
- a Victorian non-government school registered with the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority or Catholic Education Commission of Victoria.
For-profit organisations cannot apply for any grant streams under the Refurbishment and Minor Works Program.
Two types of grants can be applied for under the Refurbishment and Minor Works program.
Minor Works and Refurbishment
- Eligible organisations can apply for up to $50,000 per grant (GST exclusive).
- Co-contributions are allowed but not required for applications under the Minor Works and Refurbishment stream.
Major Works And Refurbishment
- Eligible organisations can apply for grants valued between $50,000 and $500,000 per grant (GST exclusive).
- Co-contributions are allowed but not required for applications under the Major Works and Refurbishment stream.
- Project management costs
- Planning and design costs
- Site preparation, including clearing or demolition (if the project will be on DET owned land, please contact the VSBA before applying to confirm how these costs can be funded)
- Construction and commissioning
- Landscaping and car parking
- Fixed fittings and fixed equipment
- Removal of contaminants on project sites (e.g. asbestos/arsenic), pending it is within scope of the state’s financial contribution and included at application stage
- Staff-room upgrades
- Double glazing and insulation
- Kitchen upgrades
- Replacement/installation of water tanks
- Toilet upgrades
- Fixing roofing leaks
- Accessible ramps
- Site acquisition and lease costs
- Purchase of cars, buses and other vehicles
- Ongoing administration or operational costs
- Staff salaries and training
- Additional funding due to project cost overruns
- Purchase of relocatable buildings (including ‘pods’) which would extend or increase the number of early childhood buildings
- Information technology costs
- Loose furniture (non-fixed) and specialist disability equipment e.g. specialist chairs, toilet frames, blinds and curtains
- Fire services equipment including fire extinguishers
Reviewed 15 December 2021