About the project
We built a new primary school in the City of Wyndham. It opened in 2023, helping the growing local population get great education close to home. The school is open for enrolments from Prep to Grade 6.
Ashley Craig was appointed as the first principal of the school.
Karwan Primary School was chosen as the new school name following community consultation. ‘Karwan’ (pronounced kar-wan) is a Bunurong word referring to the nankeen kestrel.
The school was previously known as Riverdale East Primary School, during the planning phase. In August 2022, the name of Riverdale East Primary School (interim name) was announced as Tarneit Primary School.
The school has the following facilities:
- an administration building with a library, staff offices and amenities
- 2 learning neighbourhood buildings with general purpose classrooms, and flexible and collaborative teaching spaces
- a specialist learning neighbourhood for subjects such as food technology and science
- a community hub with a competition-grade gymnasium, canteen, music and drama space
- 2 outdoor hardcourts
- a sports field
- a bike shed.
- kindergarten programs easier to access
- drop-off time simpler and more convenient
- the transition from kindergarten to school smoother for children.
In the 2021–22 State Budget, this school shared in the $491.565 million for new schools construction.
Reviewed 28 September 2023